Why a site about prayer?

The purpose of this site is to encourage us to each go deeper in our prayer life. One way that we do that is by praying together. Another way we do that is by praying individually yet collectively on the same prayer themes. Our hope is that as we share prayers and reflect on them and pray over them at the same time in our individual lives, the Holy Spirit will speak to each of us and allow us to encourage and edify one another in prayer.

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Prayer for Pursuing God

from Charles Spurgeon in Spurgeon's Devotional Bible, 1982, April 16 - morning selection

"Thou hast made me, be pleased to new-make me. I am thy work, complete me; I am thy harp, tune me; I am thy child, teach me."

4 comments:

  1. When I Acknowlege to my Lord that I know He is creator and I am His ongoing creation I put myself in the position to eagerly await and to submit to his plan for me today. Prayer for me hinges on starting at the place of realizing (as best I can) who is who in the relationship, He is the God who created and creates me. He wants to commune with me. How can I even respond to that? Wonderment! Worship! Humility! Love! Prayer happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. contemplating the idea of being tuned like a harp. how often do i operate out of 'close enough' thinking that will glorify God? when a musician fine tunes an instrument, to many ears it will sound the same. but to the adept musician, it makes all the difference. when our Heavenly Father fine tunes us, it may seem like such a minor tweak, but it can make all the difference in a big way. would i boldly ask Him to make any fine tunes He needs in my life, not settling for close enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today "I am thy". For me when Jesus said "I am" the earth changed in that moment, there could be no mistaking His meaning, He is God. How can two short words paired together have such a profound impact on my spirit every time I hear them? Mystery, truth, rightness! God! So what could be more fitting for my identity before the great I am but to refer to myself as "I am thy".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been thinking a lot about the focus on "I am thy". You are right, Karen, there is power in this statement. I am thy = I am His. This phrase is such a reminder that I am His. I am His to be created, I am His to be tuned, I am His to be taught. He is my teacher. He is the one who makes me new. I do not have the strive to do it on my own strength. I am His, period. What glory, what grace! Thank you Abba. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Spirit!

    ReplyDelete